When it comes to talk about Cancun there are two main opinions: there are those who consider Cancun the paradisaical destination per excellence, while others consider it the mecca of prefabricated tourism, of large moles of concrete and little to no soul.
The truth is that Cancun can become everything you want. If your idea of vacations and rest is an all-inclusive resort, you will find the best ones; but if you are a seasoned traveler eager to get involved with society and culture, Cancun offers you the exuberant display of its people and culture. Believe me, you only have to visit it once to fall madly in love with its turquoise waters and friendly people.
Why travel to Cancun?
Because of its versatility:
The possibility of crafting your own experience in this privileged corner of the Caribbean according to what your heart asks is enough for you to want to repeat the experience at different times of your life.
Because of their prices:
Cancun can be a good destination to all types of budgets. Just as you can enjoy your vacations in a luxury 5 star hotels, you can stay in beautiful hostels that cost a lot less. Being such a popular destination, there is a lot of competition so you can find great deals on flights, hotels and fun.
Because of its beauty:
You won’t be able to find a sea so absurdly turquoise anywhere else. As soon as you open your eyes in front of the sea, you will discover that this color has been etched forever in your retinas. The white of the sand, the minerals of water and light are responsible for this hypnotic effect. And let’s not talk about its biodiversity, we can be hours discussing those marvels.
Because it is a good starting point:
Moving from Cancun throughout the Riviera Maya is quite simple, especially if you rent a car and make some excursion planning. You can reach Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Chichen Itza, Playa Delfines and so much more. It is easy to organize excursions to different places on the region and marvel at its versatility.
Because it’s impossible to get bored:
Beautiful beaches, nightlife, cultural walks, nature excursions, theme parks, luxury hotels, varied and accessible gastronomy … no matter how old you are, your budget or your tastes. In Cancun you will always find something fun to do.
What to do in Cancun?
Make excursions to perfect beaches:
You can do tours to Isla Mujeres, Xpu-Há, Akumal, Cozumel Island, Tortugas Beach, Playa Delfines and many more. In Cancun there are kilometers of white sand coast and an impressive sea, with palapas, restaurants, terraces and others that you will have to take to the water you will drink. You have plenty of beaches to explore and choose.
Swim with the dolphins, immerse yourself in the largest natural aquarium in the world, discover the secret life of the coral reefs, cross the waters with the turtles and the peaceful whale sharks, learn how to dive at the cenotes or glide over the impossible blue with a sailboat, venture with a jet ski and paddle in your kayak. The fun in the water never ends.
Meet the cenotes:
Whether you follow a guided tour or rent a car and venture by yourself, these natural pools that can be protected in open or underground caves are a spectacle.
Visit the archeological zones:
Chichen Itza is one of the 7 wonders of the modern world. There you will know how the Mayan civilization lived. Tulum is closer and its ruins are almost at the seashore. Culture, history and tradition.
Enjoy the parks:
Xcaret, Xplor, Xel-Há and Selvática are the most famous water parks. They have an orientation towards ecotourism, so their recreational and cultural activities for all ages are made to teach about nature conservation and appreciation for Mexican identity and culture.
Visit the Museums:
In Cancun you will find the Mayan Museum, the Ka Yok planetarium but there is one that stands out and will leave you amazed: the Underwater Museum of Art, where you can immerse yourself to admire the underwater sculptures. A unique experience.
Enjoy the gastronomy:
If there is something that distinguishes Mexico is its rich gastronomy, so much so that it is worthwhile traveling just to try its authentic cuisine. In Cancun you will find typical dishes such as cochinita pibil, ceviches, fish tacos, panuchos and other traditional preparations.
Tips to make the most of your stay in Cancun
- You can travel at any time of the year, but keep in mind that from June to October there are usually storms and lots of rain. From November to May the weather is perfect.
- If you are a person who likes to make excursions all day, every day, it is not worth investing in an all-inclusive hotel because you will only get there to sleep. It is better to look for a little more modest accommodation for those days and that you leave all-inclusive for those days where you will be all day enjoying the hotel beach with a cocktail in your hand.
- If you go with your family, look for hotels with special activities and facilities for children. There are even hotels with nurseries. It will be an excellent help for you to relax and enjoy, knowing that your little ones will be taken care of and having fun.
- Buy tickets to parks, monuments and other attractions in advance. This will guarantee you better prices, avoid long lines and you can quickly enter the site.
- At La Laguna you can find many fun activities: jet ski rides at the mangroves, kayaking and others.
- If you plan to go to Tulum and Chichen Itza, it is worth renting a car for those days. It’s cheaper than taking taxis and it will be much more comfortable, especially if you go with children.
- It’ better to change your money in exchange houses or withdraw cash from the ATMs using your card. In the Plaza de las Américas Shopping Center you will find better exchange rates.
- If you go out to party, you can find many clubs with open bars and shows. The classics are Coco Bongo, Dady’o. Manala and Bulldog, but you can find others with a more Latin and authentic vibe. The most famous are concentrated in the Hotel Zone.